Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Way You Make Me Feel

Any chance I get to reference a Michael Jackson song, I take it! A true child of the 80's. Guilty! There is a saying that we use in the direct sales world that I've heard many times. Today it really spoke to me and I want to share it with you.

"People will not remember what you say, they will not remember what you do, but they will always remember how you made them feel."

Powerful, huh? Take a moment to soak that in. Often times when I've been angry at someone in the past, I can remember distinctly how I felt about it all but when asked "What exactly did he/she say?" my mind would draw a complete blank! Maybe that's just me being a little absent minded. I am my mother's child, you know? And for those of you who have had the pleasure of meeting my mother, you're chuckling to yourself right now!

I do still feel that words are very powerful and I think we should all be careful in what words we choose. But the power to make a person feel loved, respected and admired is a goal I seek to achieve everyday. I've said many times before how blessed I am to have amazing people around me. Well, I believe it is of my own doing. I believe that because I am genuine and loving to my friends that I have naturally attracted only those friends who are genuine and loving to me! Trust me when I tell you that my life with friends was not always perfect. When we are younger, we cling on to anyone due to our own insecurities. Several years ago I had to let some friends go (out of my life) and it was the hardest but most rewarding thing I've ever done. It allowed me to be true to myself. And as a result, I have even more friends now and they're all magnificent! And if you're reading this - you get extra special bonus points. :)

So I leave you with the quote I mentioned above. Each day as you interact with people, think about how your words or actions might make them feel. It's that feeling that you give them that they will remember. So will they walk away happy or sad? You can choose!

No comments: